CLMP Names 2020 Firecracker Award Winners
The Community of Literary Magazines and Presses has announced the winners of its sixth annual Firecracker Awards, honoring independently published books of fiction, creative nonfiction, and poetry and literary magazines in the categories of debut and general excellence. This year, the judges awarded two prizes in the poetry category. The recipient of the fourth annual Lord Nose Award, given in memory of the Jargon Society publisher Jonathan Williams and in recognition of a lifetime of superlative small press publishing.
This year’s Lord Nose Award recipient is W. Paul Coates of Black Classic Press, which specializes in republishing obscure and significant works by and about people of African descent.
The 2020 Firecracker Award Winners are as follows:
- Fiction: They Will Drown in Their Mothers' Tears by Johannes Anyuru, translated by Saskia Vogel, published by Two Lines Press
- Creative Nonfiction: throughsmoke by Jehanne Dubrow, published by New Rivers Press
- Poetry: Motion Studies by Jena Osman, published by Ugly Duckling Presse, and Personal Volcano by Laura Moriarty, published by Nightboat Books
- Magazines: Best Debut: Porter House Review
- Magazines: General Excellence: Two Lines Journal