As Mother's Day (May 11) approaches, so does new fiction from Jhumpa Lahiri, Jennifer Weiner and Iris Johansen, while Ann Patchett and Maria Shriver get an early jump on the graduation market. This month's highly anticipated children's titles include a prequel to Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials series and Mo Willems's latest Pigeon book .
| April 1 |* Narnia Chronology by Mary Jane Wilkins, illus. by Mark Edwards (HarperCollins, $22.99). 500,000 copies.* The Clique Summer Collection: Massie by Lisi Harrison (Poppy, $6.99 paper). 350,000 copies.The O Cookbook by editors of O Magazine (Hyperion, $29.95). 300,000 copies.* Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri (Knopf, $24.95). 300,000 copies.Home: A Memoir of My Early Years by Julie Andrews (Hyperion/Voice, $26.95). 250,000 copies.* The Pigeon Wants... by Mo Willems (Hyperion, $14.99). 250,000 copies.Sepulchre by Kate Mosse (Putnam, $25.95). 200,000 copies.Wit's End by Karen Joy Fowler (Putnam, $24.95). 200,000 copies.* Armageddon in Retrospect by Kurt Vonnegut (Putnam, $24.95). 175,000 copies.* The Sum of Our Days by Isabel Allende (HarperCollins, $26.95). 150,000 copies.Guilty by Karen Robards (Putnam, $24.95). 150,000 copies.Adam by Ted Dekker (Thomas Nelson, $25.99). 125,000 copies.Pleasure by Eric Jerome Dickey (Dutton, $24.95). 125,000 copies.Suddenly by Barbara Delinsky (Morrow, $18.95). 125,000 copies.Winter Study by Nevada Barr (Putnam, $24.95). 120,000 copies.Leadership Gold: Lessons I've Learned from a Lifetime of Leading by John C. Maxwell (Thomas Nelson, $25.99). 125,000 copies.Small Favor: A Novel of the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher (Roc, $23.95). 100,000 copies.*In Grandma's Arms by Jayne Shelton, illus. by Karen Katz (Scholastic/Cartwheel, $6.99). 100,000 copies.* * Goosebumps HorrorLand #1: Revenge of the Living Dummy by R.L. Stine (Scholastic, $5.99 paper). 100,000 copies.* Goosebumps HorrorLand #2: Creep from the Deep by R.L. Stine (Scholastic, $5.99 paper). 100,000 copies.* Hotlanta #1 by Denene Millner and Mitzi Miller (Scholastic/Point, $8.99 paper). 100,000 copies.| April 7 |
Bonk by Mary Roach (Norton, $23.95). 150,000 copies.
| April 8 |
The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch with Jeff Zaslow (Hyperion, $21.95). 750,000 copies.
Certain Girls by Jennifer Weiner (Atria, $26). 650,000 copies.
Ladies of Liberty: The Women Who Shaped Our Nation by Cokie Roberts (Morrow, $26.95). 400,000 copies.
* Alphabet by Matthew Van Fleet (S&S/Wiseman, $19.99). 350,000 copies.
* Queste:Septimus Heap, Book Four by Angie Sage, illus. by Mark Zug (HarperCollins/Tegen, $17.99). 250,000 copies.
* The Penderwicks on Gardam Street by Jeanne Birdsall (Knopf, $15.99). 150,000 copies.
Mama Rock's Rules: Ten Lessons for Raising a Houseful of Successful Children by Rose Rock and Valerie Graham (Collins, $15.95). 150,000 copies.
Georgia Cooking in an Oklahoma Kitchen: Recipes from My Family to Yours by Trisha Yearwood (Clarkson Potter, $29.95). 125,000 copies.
Rosie O'Donnell's Crafty U by Rosie O'Donnell (Simon & Schuster, $21.95). 100,000 copies.
* Jealous? by Melissa de la Cruz (S&S/Aladdin, $9.99 paper). 100,000 copies.
Wear Your Life Well: Use What You Have to Get What You Want by Marilu Henner (Collins, $24.95). 75,000 copies.
Shakespeare's Wife by Germaine Greer (HarperCollins, $26.95). 75,000 copies.
| April 10 |
* Audrey, Wait! by Robin Benway (Razorbill, $16.99). 100,000 copies.
| April 15 |
Hold Tight by Harlan Coben (Dutton, $26.95). 300,000 copies.
* The Miracle at Speedy Motors: The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith (Pantheon, $22.95). 300,000 copies.
The River Run by Alton Brown (Stewart, Tabori & Chang, $27.50). 250,000 copies.
Bad Money: Reckless Finance, Failed Politics, and the Global Crisis of American Capitalism by Kevin Phillips (Viking, $25.95). 250,000 copies.
Walking with God by John Eldredge (Thomas Nelson, $22.99). 155,000 copies.
What Now? by Ann Patchett (HarperCollins, $15.95). 150,000 copies.
* Big Plans by Bob Shea, illus. by Lane Smith (Hyperion, $17.99). 100,000 copies.
| April 21 |
The Post-American World by Fareed Zakaria (Norton, $24.95). 150,000 copies.
* Lavinia by Ursula K. Le Guin (Harcourt, $24). 40,000 copies.
| April 22 |
Quicksand by Iris Johansen (St. Martin's, $26.95). 600,000 copies.
Just Who Will You Be? Big Question. Little Book. Answer Within by Maria Shriver (Hyperion, $14.95). 400,000 copies.
Santa Fe Dead by Stuart Woods (Putnam, $25.95). 300,000 copies.
So Brave, Young, and Handsome by Leif Enger (Atlantic Monthly, $24). 200,000 copies.
* Fancy Nancy's Favorite Fancy Words by Jane O'Connor, illus. by Robin Preiss Glasser (HarperCollins, $12.99). 200,000 copies.
* Warriors: Power of Three #3: Outcast by Erin Hunter (HarperCollins, $16.99). 200,000 copies.
The Third Circle by Amanda Quick (Putnam, $24.95). 200,000 copies.
* *Lock and Key by Sarah Dessen (Viking, $18.99). 200,000 copies.
Italian Grill by Mario Batali with Judith Sutton (Ecco, $29.95). 150,000 copies.
* Once Upon a Time in the North by Philip Pullman (Knopf, $12.99). 100,000 copies.
| April 29 |
YOU: The Owner's Manual, Updated and Expanded Edition: An Insiders' Guide to the Body That Will Make You Healthier and Younger by Dr. Mehmet Oz and Dr. Michael Roizen (Collins, $26.95). 500,000 copies.
South Beach Diet Supercharged by Arthur Agatston with Joseph Signorile (Rodale, $25.95). 500,000 copies.
Life Beyond Measure: Letters to My Great-Granddaughter by Sidney Poitier (HarperOne, $24.95). 400,000 copies.
Twenty Wishes by Debbie Macomber (Mira, $24.95). 270,000 copies.
Voyage Long and Strange: Rediscovering the New World by Tony Horwitz (Holt, $27.50). 200,000 copies.
Right Is Wrong by Arianna Huffington (Knopf, $24.95). 200,000 copies.
* The Plague of Doves by Louise Erdrich (HarperCollins, $25.95). 150,000 copies.
* Ink Exchange by Melissa Marr (HarperTeen, $16.99). 125,000 copies.
* The Story of a Marriage by Andrew Sean Greer (Farrar, Straus & Giroux, $22). 100,000 copies.
* The Joys of Love by Madeleine L'Engle (Farrar, Straus & Giroux, $16.95). 100,000 copies.
The Sistine Secrets: Michelangelo's Hidden Messages and How He Defied the Pope by Roy Doliner and Benjamin Blech (HarperOne, $26.95). 100,000 copies.
Boots on the Ground by Dusk: The Remarkable Life and Death of Pat Tillman by Mary Tillman and Narda Zacchino (Rodale/Modern Times, $25.95). 100,000 copies.
—With reporting by John Sellers
* PW = starred review
* = Children's title