Following the news that Baker & Taylor is closing its retail wholesale business, both Hachette Book Group and Independent Publishers Group are offering independent booksellers special programs to transition them to direct sales. Last week, Penguin Random House announced its "Indies Express Program," which has similar intent.
Under Hachette's program, which is called "Indie Direct," any independent bookstore that does not already have an account with HBG is eligible. Accounts must be set up and orders must be received by August 30, 2019
According to an email sent to booksellers, the benefits are as follows:
- Independent booksellers will have expedited account set-up.
- There is no minimum quantity on the bookstore’s initial order.
- Independent booksellers will have expedited credit approval.
- Additional discount for participating bookstore’s initial order in the program.
- Promotion applies to all HBG titles and participating client publisher product.
- Participating client publishers include: Abrams, Chronicle Books, Disney Book Group, Hachette UK, Kids Can Press, Moleskine, Octopus, Phaidon, piKids, Quercus / Nicholas Brealey, Quarto Publishing Group, and Yen Press
HBG’s telephone sales team is available to answer questions or assist and can be reached at email@example.com or 800 934 5252.
IPG's program is also called "Indie Direct." It will be available through September 1 and applies to all books carried by the distributor. The company has put forward the following terms:
- No prepayment required for first order.
- Automatic credit limit of $1,000 for opening a new account - no credit application required.
- For all accounts, order 10 or more units and receive an additional 5% discount.
- Net 60 dating on this order.
- Free freight for 10+ units ordered.
- Qualifying orders placed by 11 a.m. central time will ship by the end of the next business day.
- Contact IPG’s dedicated indie bookstore sales team to assist with ordering.
Specific information, including a promo code and ordering details, will be sent directly to bookstores from IPG’s dedicated indie bookstore sales team. IPG's customer service will answer questions at (800) 888-IPG1 or firstname.lastname@example.org.