The longlist for the Booker Prize has been announced, including six American authors: Hernan Diaz, Percival Everett, Karen Joy Fowler, Leila Mottley, Selby Wynn Schwartz, and Elizabeth Strout. The prize is worth £50,000 ($68,860). A shortlist of six will be announced on September 6, and the winner will be announced on October 17.
The longlist, with publishers from the U.S. (where available), are listed below.
- NoViolet Bulawayo, Glory (Viking)
- Hernan Diaz, Trust (Riverhead)
- Percival Everett, The Trees (Graywolf)
- Karen Joy Fowler, Booth (Putnam))
- Alan Garner, Treacle Walker (HarperCollins)
- Shehan Karunatilaka, The Seven Moons of Maali Almeida (Sort of Books)
- Claire Keegan, Small Things Like These (Grove)
- Graeme Macrae Burnet, Case Study (Biblioasis)
- Audrey Magee, The Colony (FSG)
- Maddie Mortimer, Maps of Our Spectacular Bodies (Scribner)
- Leila Mottley, Nightcrawling (Knopf)
- Selby Wynn Schwartz, After Sappho (Liveright)
- Elizabeth Strout, Oh William! (Random House)